Two bin fires in Exmouth in one night – Firefighters issue disposable BBQ warning

  Posted: 01.06.20 at 15:33 by Joseph Bulmer

us on Facebook



Exmouth’s firefighters are asking beach goers to be more careful when getting rid of disposable BBQs after two bin fires took place in one night in the town.

On Friday, May 29, there were two bin fires in Exmouth, both of which took place in bins near Exmouth beach and both were caused by disposable BBQs.

A spokesperson for Exmouth Fire Station said: “It's great knowing people aren't leaving hot BBQs on the beach, just remember they will set fire to the contents of the bins.

“Please make sure the BBQ is fully extinguished by pouring plenty of water or sand on to it. Do not place a disposable BBQ in a rubbish bin until it has cooled down completely. Do not bury and leave a BBQ in the sand.”

The warning from Exmouth Fire Station has coincided with a warning on BBQs from East Devon District Council.

A council spokesperson tweeted yesterday (May 31): “Think twice about lighting up BBQs in public places. Our forests and heathlands are important and we need to do all we can to protect them. Remember - barbecuing on heathland is illegal. #SandwichesAreSafer.”

East Devon District Council Chairman Stuart Hughes has resigned as Chairman this morning blaming his departure on ‘game playing by some members of t...
Read more...


Share: